Get Fit Without Leaving Home
No time? No equipment? No excuses!Burn fat and build muscle just five feet from your couch. We turned to the top fitness experts in the area for their most effective, equipment-free routines. You can do these anytime, anywhere, and see results in just weeks.
1/Beginner Workoutfrom Suzanne Cardenas, certified personal trainer at California Family Fitness, californiafamilyfitness.com
Start with 10 repetitions; add 10 more each day. Take every fourth day off and try to complete a 30-day challenge.
- Squats. With feet hip-distance apart, sit hips back making sure knees are behind toes. Stand up and return to start position.
- Push-ups. With hands shoulder-width apart, bend elbows, lowering the body toward the floor. Push up and return to start position.
- Crunches. Lie down on back with hands across chest or behind the head. Lift head off the floor by contracting abs.
- Double Leg Lifts. Lie down on back. Bring legs up to 90 degrees. Legs may be bent (easier on back) or straight (more challenging). Lower legs toward the floor until abs catch. Lift legs back up to start position.
- Supermans. Lie down on stomach. Reach arms forward or back and extend legs. Lift arms and legs a few inches off the floor. Lower to start position.
2 / Booty Powerhousefrom Sandra Lemos, co-owner of The Dailey Method, thedaileymethod.com
“Remember to smile,” Lemos says. “You have muscles in your face as well. Put energetic music on. Having fun while exercising ensures you’ll stick with it.”
- Leg Lifts on All Fours. Start on all fours with hands spread wide below shoulders. Extend right foot and press the top of it in the floor. Engage right gluteal; slightly tip pelvis toward ribcage. Find deep engagement, hold tight and lift leg up. Continue lifting for 60 seconds or repetitions, holding the contraction at the base of the gluteus; repeat on the left side.
- Leg Pulses. Bend right knee 90 degrees and flex foot. Draw heel in, creating a hamstring curl; hold the curl and press heel toward the ceiling. Repeat 30 times on each side.
- Side Leg Lifts. Take left forearm down to the floor and extend right hand at an angle. Open right hip up and stack over left. Point toe and lift knee to the ceiling in a small range of motion; repeat until you can no longer continue. Repeat on the left side.
3 / Drop a Jeans Sizefrom Lisa Packheiser, fitness director at Johnson Ranch Racquet Club, sparetimeclubs.com
Complete the exercises, doing each for 20 seconds and resting 10 seconds between. Repeat twice for a total of four minutes. Intensity level should be at a nine or 10 for the four minutes.
- Plank Jacks. Begin in plank position, shoulders over wrists, body in one straight line and feet together. Jump legs wide and then back together. Jump as quickly as you want, but keep your pelvis steady (don’t let the booty rise).
- Lunge Kicks. Stand with feet together. Take a long stride forward with one foot, pointing foot and knee in the same direction. Keep torso engaged and center of gravity directly above hips. Bend rear leg until knee almost touches ground. Push off rear foot and bring leg forward with knee in a cocked position. Kick at an imaginary target, then cock knee again. Continue with opposite leg.
- High Knees. Combine running motion with “high” knee lifts.
- Mountain Climbers. Start in push-up position. Raise your right knee toward your chest. Return to the starting position and repeat with your left leg; alternate as quickly as you can.
What’s your favorite at-home workout? Tell us below in the comments!