Folsom Community Service Day Planning Meeting Set
A brainstorming session is planned for 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, March 25 to identify potential projects for This year's Folsom Community Service Day. The meeting will be held at the Folsom Community Center at 52 Natoma St.
Community Service Day mobilizes hundreds of volunteers of all ages and interests to complete projects throughout Folsom that will have a lasting impact in the community. The effort is organized by the City of Folsom and numerous Folsom corporations, companies and nonprofits. The 2015 Community Service Day will be held Sept. 19.
More than 1,100 volunteers participated in the inaugural 2014 Community Service Day, and completed more than 25 projects, including:
- Collected more than 82,000 pounds of food for Twin Lakes Food Bank families during a citywide food drive
- Solicited donations and packed care packages for 500 soldiers serving overseas; children created thank you cards and photos that were inserted in the care packages
- Painted the wrought-iron fence surrounding the Aquatic Center
- Planted shrubs, pulled weeds and added bark to Butterfly Garden in City Lions Park
- Weeded and cleaned-up the cemetery at Sibley & Natoma
- Installed shelving, painted and cleaned CAVE teen centers at Folsom and Sutter middle schools
- Built raised beds, installed irrigation and painted a mural at the garden behind the Community Center which will be used by the preschool and Zoo Sanctuary
- Stained the large wooden play structure in Kids Play Park
- Completed painting, staining and clean-up projects at Pioneer Village in Historic Folsom
- Installed landscaping at the Powerhouse Ministries Transitional Care Center
- Installed fencing around the Powerhouse Ministries kids play area
- Sanitized toys and cleaned preschools at the Community Center, Sports Complex and Hinkle Creek Nature Center
- Sorted clothes and donations at Snowline Hospice
- Re-built a bicycle/pedestrian bridge on the Humbug-Willow Creek Trail
- Painted trail rules on several sections of recreational trails
- Built steps in the deer area and painted fencing and cleaned sections of the Zoo Sanctuary
For more information or to RSVP for the March 25 meeting, please contact Christine Brainerd, communications manager with the City of Folsom, at 351-3360 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
PROVIDED BY THE CITY OF FOLSOM