Sacramento Misses Shot at MLS ... For Now
Mar 23, 2015 12:53PM, Published by Steven Jack, Categories: Community
Photo courtesy of Major League Soccer
Sacramento’s hopes for a Major League Soccer franchise may be on hold for now.
Reports state that the MLS is set to announce this week its next expansion team will be located in Minneapolis. The announcement is scheduled for Wednesday at Target Field in the Twin Cities.
Last week, Sacramento mayor Kevin Johnson said the city will continue to push for an MLS team and will keep moving forward to build a stadium at the downtown rail yard location.
“While we would have liked Sacramento to be the first pick, we’re still in the game and will continue to take as many shots on goal until the last whistle’s blown,” Johnson said at a news conference. “We believe and we know that our bid is really strong.”
A planned Miami team and the Minneapolis team will put the MLS at 24 squads, which was the league's initial goal. However, officials announced last week they may consider going beyond 24 teams. According to a Sacramento Bee report, Sacramento would be next in line for a team.
Sacramento is currently home to minor league team Sacramento Republic FC.