Ask The Experts - What does the term 'green cleaning' mean?
Q: What does the term “green cleaning” mean?
A: Green cleaning protects the health of the environment and avoids exposure to dangerous chemicals and cleaning practices that could affect your health and your family’s.
Here are some green cleaning tips:
• Clean with plant-oil disinfectants like rosemary, sage or eucalyptus, along with some elbow grease. Vinegar also disinfects and inhibits growth of mold and mildew.
• Use old T-shirts and socks to clean, instead of paper products.
• Cut a lemon in half, run it over chrome faucets and buff for instant shine; sprinkle baking soda on the other half to scrub away surface stains. Grind both halves in the garbage disposal to freshen the sink.
• Simmer cloves or cinnamon sticks in water for an hour to create a natural air freshener.
• Open windows to let product pollutants out.
• Use a vacuum cleaner that utilizes a HEPA filtration system to capture tiny bacteria and particles that distress allergy sufferers.
—Rick and Becky Kraemer
6611 Folsom-Auburn Road, Suite L