Public Invited to Participate in Los Rios Colleges’ Accreditation Review in Sacramento
Oct 05, 2015 09:26AM ● Published by David Norby
Members of the public are invited to participate in the upcoming accreditation review process for the four colleges of the Los Rios Community College District.
On Monday, Oct. 5, each of the Los Rios Colleges will welcome visiting accreditation teams, the culmination of a nearly two-year-long process of the colleges and District preparing for the regularly scheduled reaffirmation of the colleges’ accreditation.
As part of the four-day visit, each of the four colleges – American River, Cosumnes River, Folsom Lake and Sacramento City colleges – will host two open forums where members of the college’s neighboring community are invited to share comments, suggestions or concerns about the colleges.
The following is the schedule of open forums:
• American River College (4700 College Oak Drive, Sacramento): Tuesday, Oct. 6, 12:15 p.m.-1:15 p.m., and Wednesday, Oct. 7, 3 p.m.-4 p.m., both in Student Center Community Rooms 1-3. More information: http://www.arc.losrios.edu/About_ARC/ARC_Accreditation.htm
• Cosumnes River College (8401 Center Parkway, Sacramento): Tuesday, Oct. 6, 5:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m., and Wednesday, Oct. 7, 10 a.m.-11 a.m., both in the Blackbox Theatre. More information: https://www.crc.losrios.edu/about/accreditation
• Folsom Lake College (10 College Parkway, Folsom): Tuesday, Oct. 6, noon-1 p.m., and Wednesday, Oct. 7, 4:30 p.m.-5:30 p.m., both in Buckeye Hall room FL3-173. More information: http://www.flc.losrios.edu/about-us/accreditation
• Sacramento City College (3835 Freeport Blvd., Sacramento): Tuesday, Oct. 6, 1 p.m.-2 p.m., and Wednesday, Oct. 7, 5 p.m.-6 p.m., both in the Student Center. More information: http://www.scc.losrios.edu/2015-accreditation/
The Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges, or ACCJC, last reaffirmed the accreditation of the four Los Rios Colleges in 2010.
Accreditation is a process of external quality review that higher education utilizes to scrutinize colleges, universities and educational programs to assure and improve educational quality and institutional effectiveness.
Each visiting team comprises volunteers from other California community colleges. In their visits and reviews, the teams will focus on how well each of the Los Rios Colleges performs according to four standards:
• Standard I: Institutional Mission and Effectiveness
• Standard II: Student Learning Programs and Services
• Standard III: Resources
• Standard IV: Leadership and Governance
In performing their assessments, team members typically will visit with a variety of people at the colleges as well as with members of the Los Rios Board and the District staff.
At the end of the accreditation visit, each team will conduct an exit meeting for all interested members of the college community. At that meeting, a team chair will highlight those items that most likely will be contained in the college’s final accreditation report. The visiting team members will provide their respective college community with an early indication of the team’s assessment of the college’s strengths and weaknesses, as determined during the visit and the college’s self-study report.
Looking ahead, the accreditation commission in January 2016 will review all reports from fall accreditation visits, and the commission is then scheduled to release its findings to the four colleges later that month.