The 10 Spot: Your Guide to Apple Hill
Aug 29, 2017 02:42PM ● Published by Tara Mendanha
Boa Vista Orchards
1. You can’t visit Apple Hill and not pick your own fruit—that’s part of the charm. Pick apples and berries from 24 Carrot Farm and Harris Tree Farm, chestnuts from Smokey Ridge Farmstand and Winery, lavender from Bluestone Meadow, blueberries from Bolster’s Hilltop Ranch, Indian corn from Goyette’s North Canyon Ranch and concord grapes from Argyres Orchard.
2. If you can pick apples, you can catch fish, too. Troll for trout at High Hill Ranch or try your hand at fly-fishing at Indian Rock Ranch.
3. Celebrate Johnny Appleseed’s birthday on September 24 at 24 Carrot Farm, Apple Pantry Farm, Apple Ridge Farms, Delfino Farms, Denver Dan’s, Harris Tree Farm, Lava Cap Winery, Mill View Ranch, Sloan Winters Mountain Orchard and Garden, Wofford Acres Vineyards and more. Some of the festivities include bobbing for apples, pie eating contests, hard cider tasting, wine and apple pairings, and more.
4. Find out about the growers and how they originally worked the land, and view antique farming implements original to Camino at Larsen Apple Barn’s Apple Hill Museum.
5. Ride into the sunset on a tractor at Sloan Winters Mountain Orchard and Garden; take a hayride tour at High Hill Ranch; or ride a pony at Denver Dan’s, Abel’s Apple Acres or High Hill Ranch. Bluestone Meadow also offers tractor train rides.
6. Brace yourself for some hay-maze-ing fun at these mazes. Apple Ridge Farms has a hay maze you can get lost in. Abel’s Amazing Maze is at Abel’s Apple Acres, while Delfino Farms has two corn mazes.
7. Craving some apple pie? Try Apple Pantry Farm’s or Rainbow Orchards’ classic apple pie, Bodhaine Ranch’s rhubarb apple pie, Fudge Factory Farm’s caramel apple and blackberry hand pies, High Hill Ranch’s caramel apple crunch pie, Larsen Apple Barn’s sour cream berry apple pie, or Denver Dan’s take-and-bake apple pies.
8. Once you’re done chowing down apple pie by the plateful, go on a tasting tour around town. Sample jam and vinegar at Denver Dan’s, different varieties of apples at Smokey Ridge Farmstand and Winery, and apple donuts aplenty at Boa Vista Orchards.
9. For an adorable activity that the little ones will love, stop by a petting zoo and get acquainted with the farm animals at Apple Ridge Farms or Denver Dan’s.
10. Top it all off with a merry picnic at Apple Pantry Farm, Bluestone Meadow, Bodhaine Ranch, Boeger Winery, Fenton Herriott Vineyards, Goldbud Farms, Larsen Apple Barn, Lava Cap Winery, Madroña Vineyards, Mill View Ranch, Windmiller Farm, or Wofford Acres Vineyards.