Hello Glow: 16 Holistic Beauty Tips
Jul 27, 2018 04:24PM
What exactly is holistic beauty? Depending who you ask, the definition differs. According to Melissa Rascon, owner of NorCal Natural Beauty Salon and Organic Spray Tanning in Folsom, [it's] the science of life and a “practical system based on the belief that optimal health is achieved when your mind, body, and spirit are aligned with the universe.” For Penny Chabot, owner of Scarlet Halo Holistics in Placerville, holistic beauty is about taking care of your physical body outwardly while also going within to tend to your non-physical being. “You know when you see someone beaming [with life] and they just emit a certain beauty you can actually feel? That’s the type of beauty that catches my attention,” she says. “Though everyone’s body is different and needs different things to flourish, there are certain ways to boost your beauty in a healthy, vibrant way.” Here, three local experts share their top tips.
YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT
1) “So often we forget that our skin is literally the largest organ in our body. It’s a beautiful, intricate system that has a million jobs, including filtering out toxins. Whatever is happening internally will show externally. Adding healthy fats, like avocado and almonds, will help deliver vitamin E and give you that healthy glow,” says Haley Judge, a licensed esthetician, owner of Rosewater Holistic Skin Studio in Placerville, and creator of Rosarium Organic Skin Care.
2) “Probiotic supplements and foods, like fermented veggies and yogurt, are needed to add healthy bacteria in your gut, [which] is crucial to having gorgeous skin, hair, and nails,” Judge says.
3) According to Chabot, “Vitamin C is the best overall anti-aging ingredient. Put in on topically, ingest it through nutrition, or even take a supplement! Just get it in and on your body.”
4) “Water, water, water! Almost everyone is chronically dehydrated. Drinking eight glasses of water [every day] will give you a beautiful complexion and make a myriad of issues vanish,” Judge shares.
5) “[Cut back on] sugar. Refined sugar inflames the skin and is a leading cause of wrinkles and acne. Simply removing it from your diet will lead to vibrant skin,” Judge says.
6) “Herbal tea is a ‘super drink,’ due to its ability to flush toxins out. White tip oolong and jasmine tea make the skin glow from within, visibly reducing unevenness and dullness,” Rascon says.
SMART SKIN CARE
7) “If there’s no flow, there’s no glow. Science is finally recognizing the important role the lymphatic system plays in our wellness and beauty. Incorporating simple massage techniques and tools into your daily routine and monthly facials is a game changer. [Both help] promote circulation, flush out toxins, and lift and tone the skin. With that, don’t be afraid to massage your face! Using tools like a jade roller, gua sha board, and dry brushing are other ways to help support this important system,” Judge says.
8) “Switch to an organic oil cleanser. Using soaps, fragrances, and chemicals on the skin strips your healthy bacteria, creating an imbalance that’s visible. Oil cleansing is an ancient practice that’s making a comeback. Even for those who are prone to acne or have oily skin, it brings balance back to eradicate these problems. But not all oils are created equal! Jojoba oil is the most like our own skin’s sebum and penetrates the deepest without leaving a greasy sheen,” Judge says.
9) “Turmeric reduces inflammation and a little bit goes a long way. [To incorporate it into your routine], wash your face and hands to remove impurities and any makeup; then, in a small bowl or jar, mix 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon organic apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon organic raw local honey, 1/2 teaspoon milk or yogurt, and 1 drop lemon essential oil or fresh lemon juice. Try to get a consistency that will stick to your face; be careful not to make it too thin as it may drip. Apply the mask (avoiding your eyes), let it sit for 15–20 minutes, and rinse with warm water. Apply twice a week for best results,” Rascon says.
10) Judge says to, “Stop over-exfoliating! It’s been a trend in recent years to exfoliate with scrubs, acids, and peels on a daily basis, but doing this compromises the skin, leading to issues such as premature aging. I suggest letting your esthetician do a gentle exfoliation monthly and using a washcloth for daily use.”
11) “Honey is naturally antibacterial, making it perfect for breakouts; full of antioxidants to help slow down signs of aging; and incredibly moisturizing. Apply it as a spot treatment to breakouts or dry patches, or use it as a whole face mask (apply a thin layer in small circles to damp skin, let it soak for 20-30 minutes, and rinse),” Judge advises.
12) According to Rascon, “It takes eight seconds for a beauty product to get into the bloodstream, so check labels. The app Think Dirty is user-friendly and helpful when you’re not sure of a product’s toxicity level; just scan the bar code on the app to learn about potential toxic ingredients.”
FIND PEACE OF MIND
13) “Have a morning ritual. Immediately after waking up and before taking a shower, drink lemon water to lower blood pressure and balance pH. I also suggest beginning your morning with a mantra: ‘Today I will choose happiness,’ or ‘I am thankful for everything I have,’” Rascon shares.
14) “Address your stress! See where it's coming from and make an effort to find a less stressful way of life. Getting enough sleep and exercise helps. Additionally, find time for reflection through yoga, meditation, journaling, and with nature,” Chabot says.
15) “Take care of your emotional and mental health. When we can find ways to process and release toxic emotions and thoughts, it allows our energy system to flow in a way that brings us vitality and immunity in a more radiant way,” Chabot recommends.
16) Judge says, “Don’t be so hard on yourself. We all have things we would like to fix, but if you only focus on the negatives, the stress will literally cause more issues. Simplify your skin care routine and give yourself a compliment the next time you look in the mirror—you deserve it!”
By Kourtney Jason